Monday, June 6, 2016

Reflection: Hager

When we were told that the month would fly by before the trip, I didn't quite believe it. Now, days away from my return to Calgary, I have to admit that time really has flown by in the blink of an eye.

If you'd asked my what my favourite part of Japan would be before coming here, I'd probably say something like "the food" or "all the cool shops and sights". While I do love the aforementioned things, what's really made this trip special is the people I've met and the friends I've made.

In all honesty, I was incredibly nervous because I hadn't met any of my fellow Calgarians before the culture sessions. I was filled with all sorts of worries: would I get along with everyone? Would I be able to make friends? I'm so glad to say that I didn't have any need to be worried.

My fellow Calgarians, roommate, the RA's, and all the conversation partners and friends I've made along the way have been nothing less than welcoming, open, and kind. When I've been stressed, confused, or just plain bored, there's always someone there to help. Even though I'm so far away from my family, I almost never felt lonely (though at times, loneliness can't be helped when you're in a new, different place). As much as I'm going to miss things like the Japanese convenience stores and efficient transit systems, it's thinking that I won't be able to see everyone all the time that makes my heart ache. I'm so lucky to have met everyone. I'm at least thankful that we live in a time where I can keep in contact with people on line.

Another challenge that I was wary of was, well, actually using Japanese. I've been studying for a few years at university but still, speaking Japanese in the classroom isn't going to compare to being in Japan and having to speak it 24/7...

That being said, I decided that there was only one thing to do: just jump straight in and do my best. My goal wasn't to speak perfect Japanese- it was to speak understandable Japanese. I think that way of thinking really helped me out. Rather than stress out about messing up, I just spoke. No matter how strange some of my sentences may have sounded at first I just wanted to get comfortable speaking it. I found that all the Japanese students were more than happy to help me out. They gently corrected me when I needed, as well as complimented my speaking abilities. While I know I still have a long ways to go, I've become much more confident in my Japanese skills. I feel like I know enough to get by- I can have conversations and joke with friends, go to stores and restaurants on my own, as well as ask for directions when I lose my way (as I did, many times. I have a horrible sense of direction). I'm so excited to continue learning more and more Japanese, and I hope that I can return soon and keep putting my skills to the test.

Culture was another point of stress for me. I was worried about whether I'd accidentally do something rude or offensive. I very much believe in the saying "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" so I really wanted to fit in as best as I could. I was prepared for a lot of things, thankfully. When it came to things like aisatsu I was fine with remembering things like "tadaima" and "ittekimasu". I always made sure to use the phrase "つまらないものですが” when giving omiage. That being said, I did make some mistakes here and there. The one I remember most clearly is during my first trip to the grocery store. I went to bag my items next to the register like we do in Canada- turns out there's a totally different area to do so here. Thankfully I haven't done anything truly offensive, just a lot of small mistakes.

One of the less stressful things I was looking forward to was the food. My expectations were both met and exceeded. I got to try many delicious things like okonomiyaki, karaage, and Japanese style curry. Even natto was pretty tasty! The only food that didn't agree with me would have to be umeboshi, it was slightly sour for my taste. One of my friends/conversation partners, Rina, visited me at the dorm and taught me how to cook a japanese meal. We made some grilled saba, miso soup with wakame and tofu, tamagoyaki, boiled vegetables, and rice. It was tasty and informative!

I could go on and on about my experiences, but I think this post will be too long. I'm going to wrap it up here, because I'd say these are the most important points of my experience. The friends I've made, the language, the cultural barriers, and of course, the cuisine. This month really has been life changing, in a good way. I'm so glad I came on this trip. Japan is a great country, and though like every other country it does have flaws, I really love it here, and I can't wait to save up and come back again.


No comments: