Sunday, June 5, 2016

Senshu2016 Final Reflection - Sean Ko

As my trip nears its end, I look back at the days I've spent in Japan. I remember when I was first telling my best friends how scared I am before coming, because it is a new experience just waiting in the yonder. The days quickly accelerated to the fateful day of my departure. As I was waiting for my flight anxiously, I remember fiddling around with my phone, sending messages for the last time for quite awhile. I remember playing Shiritori with a few of my comrades in arms before our flight as we feigned ignorance to our nerve-wrecked emotions. However, the moment I landed in Japan, I decided to do one thing - if it's the last thing and the only thing I'd do, I'd keep my eyes open for as long as I can, for as much as I can, to absorb and paste the memories I would be making deeply into my brain, and engrave the best ones. Turns out, all my memories are etched to my head, and I remember them as if it was only yesterday all these events took place.

Upon landing, we had an almost 2 hour bus trip to the Senshu University dorms. Even while travelling in the bus, I kept my eyes peeled and absorbed all the scenery I could, and embraced the country of Japan in all its glory. When we reached the university, we were greeted by the RA's and RP's, and they brought us to the dorms. After a short briefing I remember the feel of the first shower I've had in almost a day - yes I actually shower thrice a day because it's a habit as a Singaporean, or so I'd like to think. After the shower, I joined the guys and walked to the convenience store, all while absorbing the beauty of my surroundings. Even buying an Onigiri and a Melon Pan in itself meant another check on my to-do list. I don't want to go into the details of everyday, but I remember every other day as clearly as I did the first day. My list of to-do's during my stay in Japan were all filled, all except one.

I am extremely happy to have been able to:
- Go to a convenience store in Japan
- Eat Melon Pan/Onigiri/Tsukemen/Ramen/Japanese Curry/and whatever else that is served almost exclusively in Japan
- Go to Akihabara
- Enjoy the sights of various temples and visiting the big Buddha statue
- Smell and hear the freshness of the sea in Odaiba, Yokohama, and Enoshima
- Tour around Kamakura
- Enter and exit the ninja restaurant
- Visit Odaiba and reminiscing the scene from Digimon
- Ride the Ferris Wheel at Odaiba
- Play and win at a crane machine
- Participate in a Home Visit
- Enjoy the nostalgia of the school bell every hour and a half in the University
- Sit and study in a Japanese classroom with great Japanese teachers
- Make many friends, including getting close to my roommate, and various other Japanese people
- Improve my Japanese
- Visit an Aquarium
- Eat at a Maid Cafe
- Visit an anime-themed cafe
- Visit a myriad of malls
- Eat Dagashi at a Dagashi store
- Sing Karaoke at a Japanese Karaoke place
- Understand the Japanese train system
- Eat at a revolving Sushi restaurant (ok I forgot what this is called)
- Meet up with my Exchange student
- Visit a Matsuri and buy foods and toys such as the Japanese yo-yo from the stores
- Bask in the culture of my dreams at full force

There are probably many others in my checklist, but all of them has been fulfilled. I can say that I will leave Japan with no regrets, though I will miss the place dearly. This trip has refilled my motivation bar to reach my dream in being an English teacher in Japan. The trip has not only made me more satisfied with my life, but has also made me create new bonds that I will treasure till the end of my life. The bonds I created stems from all the RA's, RP's, and CA's.

I especially love the RA's that have taken care of me - they're all like my brothers and sister. They're always dependable and friendly - I will especially miss jumping on top of Ryousuke and Naoki whenever I see them.

The RP's have been extremely friendly, and I have made friends with quite a few of them, and some closer than I expected - Kazuki, Ayane, Mana. But they're always there to bring life to the house, and the bonds we share is akin to that of a family.

The CA's come and go, but the returning ones that I spent most of my days with - Saudi, Miri, Yuya, Mayo, Soichi, Atsuki, Arisa, are the ones who aided in making my trip especially eventful and fun.

Thank you all who has been there during my eventful trip. There's so much more I want to write, but so little time. I might pick up more from where I left off here in the near future to convey my feelings clearly, but for now, I will leave you all with a picture of the Senshu 2016 Family:



I hope to see you all again! May our paths converge in the new future! I love you all!

No comments: