Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Self Introduction: Jennifer Hong ジェニファ-・ホン

Hi all!

My name is Jennifer Hong, feel free to call me Jenn if you'd like. It's a pleasure to be in this Senshu Program with all of you, I'm looking forward to getting to know each and everyone of you (my goal is to find out ALL of your dirty little secrets fu fu fu).

As you may or may not remember from our presentations, I am a second year undergraduate student majoring in East Asian Language Studies with a focus on Japanese. I'm also perhaps the oldest member of our Senshu group, (ahem) but that doesn't mean I'll be the most reliable or mature of the group. So what I'm really trying to say is please come save me if I get lost!!

A little blurb about my background, I am 100% born and raised Canadian, but I'm ethnically Chinese. I was actually born in Guelph, Ontario, home of the Sleeman Brewery for those of you who drink. Other than that and the University of Guelph, the city doesn't have much going on for itself, except the locals are hilariously dubbed Guelphites. I moved to Calgary with my family back in 2003 and have been here since. My family consists of my mom, dad, two younger sisters, a cat, a turtle and myself.

Many of you may be tired of hearing this but I grew up watching anime so naturally my interests in Japanese and Japanese culture stemmed from that. As a university student I now no longer have as much time to watch anime and even when I do I find myself doing other things to occupy my spare time, spending time with friends, eating delicious food, listening to music(SPYAIR, FLOW, and Goose House to name a few of my favourite bands), watching Japanese dramas(dinner, Wakakozake, and 35 Sai no Koukousei), and playing mobile games though still anime-inspired (Love Live, Idolish7 and Kingdom Hearts Unchainedχ).

Even so I'm grateful to anime for opening the door to learning a new language and culture. I'm sure it doesn't need to be said why I chose to take up the Senshu program, as many of  you are going for the same reasons or for similar reasons.

I am still keeping tabs on current anime so for you anime enthusiasts please come strike up a conversation with me! I have been keeping up with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable, KIZNAIVER, Bungo Stray Dogs, Sakamoto desu ga, Tanaka-kun is Always Listless, and SUPER LOVERS.

Pssst, also if anyone finds any cute cat/turtle merchandise while we're in Japan please let me know!

Look forward to our remaining two group member's self introductions!

Jennifer Hong

My cat getting in the way of my first blog entry, ever.

No comments: