Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Self Introduction: Ryan Holoweckyj ライアンホーローウェきー



Hey everybody!

My name is Ryan Holoweckyj, and I am a member attending the 2016 Senshu program. Our group of four will be looking into Japans culture of cafés. Japans cafés are very different compared to those in Canada often having specific themes or containing animals of different types. I hope that through experiencing these different types of cafés, and speaking to those who work in them I can gain insights into a bit of japans culture.

A little about myself, I am a second year computer science major at the University of Calgary and am currently pursuing a minor in Japanese.  My interest in Japan is born from my love of Japanese video games. Specifically, when I was young, my friend lent the Playstation 2 Japanese RPG Disgaea. From that point on my interest in Japanese culture began to grow. I started watching anime, reading translated novels, and listening to Japanese music. In summer of my first year of university I began learning the Japanese language. Learning the language increased my appreciation for Japanese culture and, as a result, I decided to join this program.

I have never been to Japan and as such am very excited to be participating in this program. I look forward to experiencing many aspects of Japans culture, eating all the food, and improving my Japanese language ability.

Thanks for reading!

Ryan Holoweckyj

No comments: